AstraZeneca Cancer Education and Research Scholars (ACERS) Program
AstraZeneca Clinical Education and Research Scholars (ACERS) for Physicians Program
If you’re inspired by science and how clinical drug development can transform care, then this is the right program for you.
At AstraZeneca we are building upon our strong platform to bring solutions to patients. Here, you will have the opportunity to make a difference in people’s lives every day. As one of the world’s premier biotechnology companies, our mission is centered on delivering life-changing products that advance world health and help fight and cure disease.
The ACERS Program:
As part of the selected cohort of Scholars in Oncology R&D, you will have an opportunity to learn from a diverse group of experts across the drug development continuum and play a pivotal role in channeling our scientific capabilities to make a positive impact on changing patients’ lives.
We are constantly pushing the boundaries of science to deliver life-changing medicines to patients, with a passion for discovery and a pipeline to show for it. We are pioneering innovative research and exploring novel pathways across key therapeutic areas including oncology. AstraZeneca has a dynamic environment that fosters collaboration and innovation. We attract top minds, and we nurture and build top talent.
This is a unique opportunity to join AstraZeneca at a time of tremendous growth and acceleration in the oncology biologics portfolio. This is a fast-paced and dynamic work environment where, with increasing levels of responsibility, you will have a structured learning plan in the following domains:
- Medical monitoring of ongoing clinical trials, the planning and conduct of clinical trials
- Providing long-range clinical development planning and managing clinical research projects and clinical development programs in oncology
- Collaborating with and providing clinical input and expertise to pre-clinical and translational sciences
- Learning and working with cross-functional team including regulatory and biostatistics groups.
In addition, you will participate in weekly clinical and scientific meetings related to your project, participating in AstraZeneca training programs through the course of the program, and participate in internal and external AstraZeneca and scientific meetings.
You will serve as the lead for a longitudinal medical project. Specific duties and major responsibilities for the longitudinal medical project may include any of the following: Serve as medical monitor with primary responsibility for patient safety and conduct of assigned trials as well as overall data interpretation and safety surveillance; Establish and approve scientific methods for design and implementation of applicable clinical protocols, data collection systems, and final reports; responsible for assisting in design of clinical development plans and overall strategy for compounds, therapeutic classes of compounds or indications in light of developments in the area of clinical and pharmaceutical oncology; collaborate with pre-clinical and translational sciences, and senior management in assessing requirements for emerging products; participate in the selection and management activities of CROs; supervise project team members in planning, conducting and evaluating clinical trials; oversee planning and management of investigator meetings, advisory boards and other scientific committees.
You will work in a cross functional environment with representatives from other involved line functions as well as Early and/or Late-Stage Development. You will contribute to and support department/clinical initiatives to improve the quality and content of all clinical programs as well as the cross functional/organization processes designed to effectively deliver our R&D portfolio.
Scholars will also conduct a research project linked to their medical project and will be asked to present their data to an internal peer review group along with publishing their research in peer-reviewed publication and presenting at key scientific meetings. As part of this program, you will not be involved in direct patient care.
Successful ACERS Scholars have:
- Training from a well-established academic program
- Passion for science with a desire to develop novel cancer therapeutics
- Drive for growth and development in a vibrant “biotech” culture
- Clear understanding of the drug development process, protocol writing & study conduct, data review and reconciliation, and principles of translational medicine
- Leadership experience with the ability to lead teams successfully
- MD degree or equivalent
- Specialty training and/or clinical experience and strong academic track record in oncology, Immuno-Oncology, Tumor Immunology, or Immunotherapy.
- Experience in molecular oncology and/or translational science
- Board Certified/Board Eligible in Oncology and/or Hematology
- Excellent oral and written skills, strong interpersonal and listening skills
- Results driven to achieve creative and sound outcomes
- Proven leadership skills and demonstrated ability to interact collaboratively in a cross-functional environment
- Ability to make sound and timely decisions; agile in learning and action oriented
- High level of emotional intelligence; able to deal with ambiguity
- Able to relate to varied level audiences across the organization; able to set priorities for team and maintain accountability; skillful in negotiating organizational boundaries and hierarchy; able to build effective teams
The ACERS Scholars program offers flexible starts commencing in 2021 and typically lasts two years depending on interest and nature of the medical and research project. Interested candidates are asked to submit a cover letter and CV with their application by October 15, 2020.
Salary & Benefits:
ACER Scholars are hired as full-time employees eligible for a full benefits package including relocation as necessary.
AstraZeneca embraces diversity and equality of opportunity. We are committed to building an inclusive and diverse team representing all backgrounds, with as wide a range of perspectives as possible, and harnessing industry-leading skills. We believe that the more inclusive we are, the better our work will be. We welcome and consider applications to join our team from all qualified candidates, regardless of their characteristics. We comply with all applicable laws and regulations on non-discrimination in employment (and recruitment), as well as work authorisation and employment eligibility verification requirements.