BioBank Team Leader
Human Biological Samples (HBS) are fundamental to medical research in the discovery, development and implementation of new treatments and diagnostics. They are ethically sensitive materials and underpin the delivery of every clinical trial. The Precision Medicine and Biosamples function is responsible for HBS standard throughout AstraZeneca R&D, ensuring seamless, legal and ethical delivery of biosamples for Global clinical trials.
The Biobank Team Leader will lead a new biobank team at our Gaithersburg site and will be the local HBS subject matter expert. Main responsibilities and accountabilities will include:
- Line manage and develop the team to meet the current and future needs of the local biobank
- Ensure work is performed in accordance with global standards, SOPs, Good Clinical Practice and legal requirements
- Support local science functions with expert advice on biobank aspects and be the national expert on applicable biobank regulations
- Be accountable for the local HBS compliance, working closely to the global HBS Compliance and Governance team
- Be part of the global biobank framework in AZ, aligning to agreed global processes and lead the implementation of new global biobank processes at the site/country.
- Lead and champion new innovations or approaches to improve global biobank processes.
- Degree/PhD in a relevant scientific discipline with significant relevant experience desired, preferably in the Pharmaceutical or Biotechnology industry
- At least 5+ years’ experience of working with HBS and biobanking
- Expert knowledge on ethical and regulatory aspects of biobanking and sample usage desired
- Thorough understanding of, and experience with, working with various IT solutions, such as LIMS systems and databases
- Excellent team working and networking skills with experience of interacting effectively across interfaces of discipline, culture, and expertise.
- Excellent decision-making and communication skills, scientific judgement and analytical skills
- Strong ability to work independently, willingness to take decisions and find solutions
AstraZeneca embraces diversity and equality of opportunity. We are committed to building an inclusive and diverse team representing all backgrounds, with as wide a range of perspectives as possible, and harnessing industry-leading skills. We believe that the more inclusive we are, the better our work will be. We welcome and consider applications to join our team from all qualified candidates, regardless of their characteristics. We comply with all applicable laws and regulations on non-discrimination in employment (and recruitment), as well as work authorisation and employment eligibility verification requirements.