Chief Operating Officer, Oncology R&D
At AstraZeneca, we are an equal opportunity employer that puts patients first and strive to meet their unmet needs worldwide. Working here means being entrepreneurial, a team leader, thinking big and working together to make the impossible a reality.
We win through the science, it’s at the heart of our every success. Every decision is rooted in the limitless possibilities of what science can do. We focus our science in the areas of Oncology, CVRM and RIA.
Our Gaithersburg, Maryland facility creates life-changing medicines for people around the world. This campus employs more than 3,500 experts in our field and is only a short drive from Washington, DC. This modern and vibrant scientific campus is the home of R&D and Oncology in the US. Here, we play host to some of the most cutting-edge technology and lab spaces, all designed to inspire collaboration and cross-functional science. We believe employees benefit from being challenged and inspired at work. We are dedicated to creating a culture of inclusion and collaboration.
The Gaithersburg site offers a variety of amenities to help boost productivity and help keep our employees happy and healthy. This includes a fitness center, employee healthcare clinic, electric vehicle charging stations, dry cleaning, full-service cafeteria and copy center. This is where you’ll find newly-designed, activity-based work spaces to suit a variety of working styles while increasing collaboration between teams.
We push the boundaries of science to deliver life-changing medicines. This purpose underpins everything we do. It gives us a reason to come to work every day. It reminds us why we exist as a company. It helps us deliver benefits to patients and create value for shareholders. It also sets the context for our employees’ activities and the roles of our teams, partners and other collaborators.
AstraZeneca has a dynamic environment that fosters collaboration and innovation. We attract top minds, and we nurture and build top talent.
The Chief Operating Officer (COO) in Gaithersburg, MD is a member of the Oncology R&D Leadership team reporting to the Executive Vice President (EVP), Oncology R&D. The role provides support to the EVP in developing, shaping & driving Oncology R&D Unit (ORDU) strategy as well as tracking and managing different aspects of operational performance. This role also plays a key role in representing the EVP & ORD-LT view and being the key liaison to other AZ functions and business unit areas. As such, the role requires an individual with the ability to operate credibly from senior management to front line employees.
What you will do:
- Identify major scientific, technological, socioeconomic and capability changes to evaluate, recommend efficient global operating model for R&D function
- Assess opportunity areas to improve operational efficiency and effectiveness through rigorous review of R&D process. Recommend and lead implementation of ways to streamline, simplify and improve operational aspects of R&D
- Review existing geographic footprint of Global Oncology R&D organization and recommend opportunity areas to respond based changing workforce and geographic trends, strategic workforce planning, in partnership with ORD LT and other SET areas. Execute on agreed upon changes based on financial, innovation and efficiency metrics.
- Oversees Site Operations Team for Gaithersburg, South San Francisco, Boston, New York and other key US sites as they evolve. Lead the Site Leadership Team for Gaithersburg.
- Understand and handle key stakeholder needs, ensure alignment of objectives and roadmap of key strategic topics that may have a cross-functional impact
- Responsible for Site Engagement for all global R&D sites. Partner with local site leads to ensure strong approach to employee engagement and communication is in place.
- Master's degree (ideally in scientific field) combined with either an MBA or equivalent management experience
- Work experience in R&D areas preferred to be able to strategically drive R&D agenda
- Extensive knowledge of the drug development process across multiple areas/phases of drug discovery and development highly preferred
- Highly developed organizational, planning, management skills and oral communication skills and work effectively with others
- Significant global experience & broad perspective of science on a global basis
- Strong stakeholder management skills requiring significant senior leader interaction in cross functional setting
- Strong ability to communicate/ influence employees through major changes
- Global management skills and ability to provide qualitative and quantitative analysis to evaluate and support management decisions
- Ability to demonstrate a sound understanding of R&D to enable credible representation of EVP & Oncology Research and Development Unit at various internal & external bodies
AstraZeneca is a leading company in the healthcare industry, with a mission to enrich the lives of others. It’s our business to support healthy living, not only for our patients, but also for our employees. Our benefits program is flexible enough to meet employees’ varying needs, offers valuable choices, and is highly competitive.
At AstraZeneca when we see an opportunity for change, we seize it and make it happen, because any opportunity no matter how small, can be the start of something big. Delivering life-changing medicines is about being entrepreneurial - finding those moments and recognizing their potential. Join us on our journey of building a new kind of organization to reset expectations of what a bio-pharmaceutical company can be. This means we’re opening new ways to work, groundbreaking cutting edge methods and bringing unexpected teams together. Interested? Come and join our journey.
Next Steps – Apply today!
Are you ready to bring new ideas and fresh thinking to the table? We have one seat available, and we hope it’s yours. Curious to know more, then please complete the full application on our website at your earliest convenience – it is the only way that our Recruiter and Hiring Manager can know that you feel well-qualified for this opportunity. Know someone who would be an excellent fit, please share this posting with them.
AstraZeneca embraces diversity and equality of opportunity. We are committed to building an inclusive and diverse team representing all backgrounds, with as wide a range of perspectives as possible, and harnessing industry-leading skills. We believe that the more inclusive we are, the better our work will be. We welcome and consider applications to join our team from all qualified candidates, regardless of their characteristics. We comply with all applicable laws and regulations on non-discrimination in employment (and recruitment), as well as work authorisation and employment eligibility verification requirements.