Search and Evaluation Director - RIA
At AstraZeneca we work together across global boundaries to make an impact and find answers to challenges. We do this with the upmost integrity even in the most difficult situations because we are committed to doing the right thing. We continuously forge partnerships that help pursue world-class medicines in new ways, combining our people’s exceptional skills with those of people from all over the globe.
The Search and Evaluation Director within Respiratory, Inflammation and Autoimmune (RIA) in Business Development and Licensing, is a key role in Biopharmaceuticals R&D, AstraZeneca, where the role holder supports global Business Development initiatives and has a direct impact on the scientific strategy and portfolio.
The Search and Evaluation (S&E) group is responsible for driving search efforts of external innovation throughout the Biopharma R&D RIA community and conducting technical due diligence activities that ensure an in-depth understanding of investment opportunities and provide effective decision-making tools for the organization.
As the Search and Evaluation Director, you will have a major impact on strategic development of Biopharmaceuticals R&D, RIA, ensuring that the portfolio is delivered and that the science, capabilities and portfolio are fit for future challenges and opportunities.
The successful candidate has a strong R&D scientific and / or clinical background, business and strategic acumen and excellent communication skills. In addition, an ability to engage and collaborate across boundaries with an entrepreneurial attitude and delivery focus.
Reporting to the Global Head of S&E, RIA, he/she is responsible for identifying and evaluating of all external in-licensing opportunities from academia, biotech’s and peer-pharma including early research projects, new modality platforms, early and late clinical stage candidates and Life Cycle Management (LCM) opportunities
He / She will be responsible for representing the Business Development strategy at partnering meetings to identify and triage external assets and opportunities related to RIA.
He / She will be responsible for integrating input from various functional areas across the organization to create high quality, clear and concise due diligence reports of external assets and will provide recommendations to senior governance bodies.
The candidate will be responsible for identifying and evaluation of key academic collaborations and technical platform capabilities that can enhance the scientific credibility and portfolio of Biopharmaceuticals R&D RIA.
He / She works constructively with key stakeholders and cross-functional teams including commercial to ensure effective communication, efficient decision-making, to support completion of transactions with BD teams in a timely manner
He / She will track breakthrough innovation, ongoing clinical trials and market trends of existing external RIA opportunities using competitive intelligence tools to identify opportunities, threats and risks in a timely manner.
- Create a dynamic, entrepreneurial and externally facing organization which enables an internally and externally collaborative culture with calculated risk taking.
- Collaborate closely with colleagues in CVRM and BD teams, and across business to identify and exploit cross-business opportunities and embed best practice.
- 10 years MD or PhD and MBA experience.
Requirements and Qualifications:
- Strong scientific reputation in drug discovery and clinical development
- Basic understanding of deal making
- Ability to interact and communicate effectively
- Proven leadership abilities in a R & D environment
- A strong track record of late stage clinical development experience in CVRM , demonstrating cultural sensitivity and awareness.
- Extensive experience in pharmaceutical R&D, demonstrating international experience in multiple cultures and R & D environments.
- Ability to think critically, creatively and to anticipate and solve problems
- Ability to navigate and be successful in a fast-paced, highly-matrixed work environment
Leadership and behaviours
- Excellent communicator who take responsibility for decisions made. Role model engagement and commitment.
- Able to lead culture shift and raise the bar in performance at all levels in the organization
- Able and accountable for driving business performance.
- Understand the wider AstraZeneca business priorities
- Appreciate that scientific expertise needs to be balanced with business leadership
- Able to actively seek collaboration in a complex matrix structure
Next Steps – Apply!
To be considered for this exciting opportunity, please complete the full application on our website at your earliest convenience – it is the only way that our Recruiter and Hiring Manager can know that you feel well qualified for this opportunity. If you know someone who would be a great fit, please share this posting with them.
AstraZeneca embraces diversity and equality of opportunity. We are committed to building an inclusive and diverse team representing all backgrounds, with as wide a range of perspectives as possible, and harnessing industry-leading skills. We believe that the more inclusive we are, the better our work will be. We welcome and consider applications to join our team from all qualified candidates, regardless of their characteristics. We comply with all applicable laws and regulations on non-discrimination in employment (and recruitment), as well as work authorisation and employment eligibility verification requirements.