Senior Director, Head Global MSL Excellence – Oncology
Do you have expertise in, and passion for Medical Affairs in Oncology? Would you like to apply your expertise to impact the Senior Director, Head Global MSL Excellence role in a company that follows the science and turns ideas into life changing medicines? Then AstraZeneca might be the one for you!
At AstraZeneca, we put patients first and strive to meet their unmet needs worldwide. Working here means being entrepreneurial, thinking big and working together to make the impossible a reality. If you are swift to action, confident to lead, willing to collaborate, and curious about what science can do, then you’re our kind of person.
AstraZeneca’s vision in Oncology is to help patients by redefining the cancer-treatment paradigm, with the aim of bringing six new cancer medicines to patients between 2013 and 2020. A broad pipeline of next-generation medicines is focused principally on four disease areas - breast, ovarian, lung and hematological cancers. As well as other tumor types, these are being targeted through five key platforms - immunotherapy, the genetic drivers of cancer and resistance, DNA damage repair, HER2 and antibody drug conjugates, underpinned by personalized healthcare and biomarker technologies.
The Senior Director, Head Global MSL Excellence leads the MSL Excellence team to set and uphold the standards for oncology field medical teams across AstraZeneca. The Senior Director leads a team of five MSL Excellence Managers and Directors, and is a member of the Oncology Medical Excellence Leadership Team. S/he develops and the vision for the future of Field Medical at AstraZeneca and drives the implementation of new innovations in scientific exchange.
- Lead the Oncology Global MSL Excellence team to ensure overall team deliverables, budgets, and performance standards are aligned to OBU Medical objectives
- Uses business knowledge to drive cross-project learning, champion and embed better ways of working across the enterprise, helping to establish new company best practices
- Foster strategic relationships with stakeholders in Global Medical Teams, across regions/markets, with the BioPharmaceuticals Medical team, and with Oncology R&D
- Manage an effective process for the collection and communication of field medical insights to drive business decisions.
- Monitor and report MSL activities and effectiveness across key performance indicators (KPIs) and key quality indicators (KQIs)
- Develop and lead the coordination of field medical support of clinical trial activities including study design, site feasibility, and recruitment & retention efforts
- Act as the MSL subject matter expert to all AZ global initiatives where Oncology MSLs are implicated. Provide insight, guidance, influence and expertise that ensures global vision for MSL role is well understood
- Support the effective and efficient implementation of Global MSL Excellence initiatives that result in valued outcomes and maximum in-country impact
- Advanced degree in scientific discipline (e.g., PhD, PharmD, MD), preferably with Oncology focus
- Experience managing and leading MSL and Medical Affairs teams
- >3 years managing programmes in a team environment
- Strong knowledge of medical strategy, clinical development, and medical science liaisons, and medical affairs areas
- Ability to effectively collaborate with and influence others in a matrix environment, including a track record of effective senior stakeholder management
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- Experience in head-office medical affairs roles
- MSL performance management and outcomes-based reporting
- Design of programmes that focus on managing, leading and coaching high performing individuals and teams
- Clear understanding of the compliance requirements and governing bodies for MSL programmes
- Results-driven with customer-service orientation
- Proven ability to influence without authority
- Ability to identify the most efficient and effective way to implement new services
Internal and External Contacts/Customers
- Oncology Business Unit Medical VPs & Franchise Heads and Global MALs
- Medical Excellence Functions
- Biopharmaceuticals Medical Capabilities and Medical Excellence functions
- Global Compliance & Global Nominated Signatories
- Markets: Oncology Medical Affairs Leads, Medical Directors and MSL Leaders
- Regional Medical Personnel (Regional Oncology Medical Directors, Regional Medical Excellence leads, etc)
- External consultants
- Direct Reports: MSL Excellence Managers and Directors (5)
At AstraZeneca when we see an opportunity for change, we seize it and make it happen, because any opportunity no matter how small, can be the start of something big. Delivering life-changing medicines is about being entrepreneurial - finding those moments and recognizing their potential. Join us on our journey of building a new kind of organization to reset expectations of what a bio-pharmaceutical company can be. This means we’re opening new ways to work, pioneering cutting edge methods and bringing unexpected teams together. Interested? Come and join our journey.
Are you already imagining yourself joining our team? Good, because we can’t wait to hear from you.
Where can I find out more?
Our Social Media, Follow AstraZeneca on LinkedIn https://www.linkedin.com/company/1603/
Follow AstraZeneca on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/astrazenecacareers/
Follow AstraZeneca on Instagram https://www.instagram.com/astrazeneca_careers/?hl=en
AstraZeneca embraces diversity and equality of opportunity. We are committed to building an inclusive and diverse team representing all backgrounds, with as wide a range of perspectives as possible, and harnessing industry-leading skills. We believe that the more inclusive we are, the better our work will be. We welcome and consider applications to join our team from all qualified candidates, regardless of their characteristics. We comply with all applicable laws and regulations on non-discrimination in employment (and recruitment), as well as work authorisation and employment eligibility verification requirements.