U S Medical Affairs Medical Director Oncology, Breast
At AstraZeneca, our aim is to help improve the outcomes of breast cancer patients with the ambition to one day eliminate cancer as a cause of death. Throughout our history, our innovative science has led to potential practice-changing medicines for patients with breast cancer, and although we have come so far, there is still much to be done. We are committed to fostering our research to redefine the breast cancer treatment paradigm.
Breast cancer remains a focus for AstraZeneca. As our understanding of the features that fuel this complex tumor type grows, the way we classify breast cancer and how to treat it will undoubtedly change, something we are spearheading at AstraZeneca. We are leading an exciting phase of scientific discovery and innovation and are identifying novel ways of improving outcomes for patient populations that are associated with poor clinical outcomes.
The Gaithersburg, MD based role of Medical Director/Sr Medical Director in US Medical Affairs is an MD/Ph. D./Pharm D. who has a history of clinical or pharmaceutical industry experience in the Oncology or Rare Disease therapeutic area. The ideal candidate should have significant experience in Oncology and can proactively engage leaders and will serve as a medical specialist for their compound(s) and disease area. They will also have a strong commercial aptitude in product launch, including a consistent track record to translate and appropriately align commercial and scientific goals and objectives.
In this role, you will develop peer relationships with external scientific specialists in Oncology, develop, align, and execute the organization's strategy and objectives across Medical Affairs’ functional areas. Additionally, you will also be accountable for leading and managing Medical Affairs resources and budgets in collaboration with commercial and global functional teams.
- Lead Medical Affairs activities for the DDR/ADC Franchise and provide medical leadership to the Core Medical Team (CMT).
- As a member of the CMT, contribute to the development of the coordinated medical plans that include tactics to support key strategic imperatives for the disease area/brand.
- Collaborate with business partners to ensure alignment of medical brand strategy, planning, and execution.
- Accountable for the medical accuracy and fair balance of medical information in promotional material and learning materials for both internal and external use
- Associate with leaders of groups identified as strategic partners, including advocacy, payer, and provider groups.
- Play an integral role in the planning and participation of national and regional medical advisory boards and speaker training
- Collaborate with global to ensure that the medical Externally Sponsored Scientific Research program is aligned with strategy and executed appropriately in the US.
- Provide medical leadership on the design and execution of HEOR studies, outcomes surveys, etc. in close collaboration with Clinical Value Team (CVT)
- Advanced scientific degree (MD, Ph.D., PharmD)
- Related work experience in the industry, clinical or research institution, preferably in oncology, rare disease, cancer, pediatric or related experiences
- Good communication and presentation skills in English
- Experience in supporting brands or disease area levels in-country, regional or global organizations is preferred
- Strong business knowledge solid understanding of changing U.S. payer and the provider landscape.
- Proven track record of efficiently engaging with industry, government, and academia.
- Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively in cross-functional teams.
- Ability to travel nationally and internationally.
- Travel may be up to ~30%.
- Consistent achievement in the Pharmaceutical Industry
- Experience in medical affairs particularly oncology
- Knowledge of and active participation in relevant Professional Societies and Scientific Medical Experts.
- Experience in other relevant disease areas of interest through clinical experience, biopharmaceutical experience, or education may be considered
- Experience with pharmaceutical drug development and Medical and Scientific Affairs
At AstraZeneca when we see an opportunity for change, we seize it and make it happen, because any opportunity no matter how small, can be the start of something big. Delivering life-changing medicines is about being entrepreneurial - finding those moments and recognizing their potential. Join us on our journey of building a new kind of organization to reset expectations of what a bio-pharmaceutical company can be. This means we’re opening new ways to work, groundbreaking cutting edge methods, and bringing unexpected teams together. Interested? Come and join our journey.
Are you already envisioning yourself joining our team? Good, because we can’t wait to hear from you.
Where can I find out more?
Our Social Media, Follow AstraZeneca on LinkedIn https://www.linkedin.com/company/1603/
Follow AstraZeneca on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/astrazenecacareers/
Follow AstraZeneca on Instagram https://www.instagram.com/astrazeneca_careers/?hl=en
AstraZeneca embraces diversity and equality of opportunity. We are committed to building an inclusive and diverse team representing all backgrounds, with as wide a range of perspectives as possible, and harnessing industry-leading skills. We believe that the more inclusive we are, the better our work will be. We welcome and consider applications to join our team from all qualified candidates, regardless of their characteristics. We comply with all applicable laws and regulations on non-discrimination in employment (and recruitment), as well as work authorisation and employment eligibility verification requirements.