USMA Medical Director
Do you have expertise in, and passion for Medical Affairs in Oncology? Would you like to apply your expertise to impact the US Medical Affairs, Medical Director role in a company that follows the science and turns ideas into life changing medicines? Then AstraZeneca might be the one for you!
At AstraZeneca, we put patients first and strive to meet their unmet needs worldwide. Working here means being entrepreneurial, thinking big and working together to make the impossible a reality. If you are swift to action, confident to lead, willing to collaborate, and curious about what science can do, then you’re our kind of person.
AstraZeneca’s vision in Oncology is to help patients by redefining the cancer-treatment paradigm, with the aim of bringing six new cancer medicines to patients between 2013 and 2020. A broad pipeline of next-generation medicines is focused principally on four disease areas - breast, ovarian, lung and hematological cancers. As well as other tumor types, these are being targeted through five key platforms - immunotherapy, the genetic drivers of cancer and resistance, DNA damage repair, HER2 and antibody drug conjugates, underpinned by personalized healthcare and biomarker technologies.
We are seeking a US Medical Affairs Medical Director - NF1 PN for our Gaithersburg, Maryland location.
The US Medical Affairs Medical Director - NF1 PN has a history of significant industry experience in the Oncology therapeutic area as it preferably relates to Pediatric and Rare Disease. The ideal candidates should have significant experience in their medical specialty and would thrive on proactively engaging internal and external leaders and will serve as a medical expert for their compound (s) and disease area. S/he will have solid peer relationships with external scientific and clinical experts in NF1 PN & Pediatric Oncology. S/he is a strategic member of the Core Medical Team accountable to ensure design and execution of the integrated Medical Plan, and for ensuring alignment of US Medical Affairs scientific activities in support of the overarching brand objectives. The Director demonstrates leadership and delivers strategic thinking in collaborating with and influencing internal stakeholders, including brand team, cross-functional leads, field medical, and global while leading external scientific expert engagement planning and implementation.
- Responsible for the strategic alignment across Medical Affairs’ Functional Areas as well as align with the global and commercial teams regarding the medical plan
- Responsible for strategic alignment of Medical Affairs ESE engagement Plan
- Lead strategy and alignment of medical affairs at congresses
- Responsible for the delivery of medical and scientific insight back to the Business and to formulate/modify medical affairs strategy plans as appropriate
- Lead the US medical affairs strategy, alignment and execution of launch plans for new products and indications
- Responsible for developing Medical Affairs Advisory Board plan and accountable for execution of plan
- Plan and manage Medical Affairs budget
- Responsible for the optimal and appropriate use of medical resources
- Lead cross-functional project teams in support of medical affair brand strategy
- Support as it is needed US local trials and observational registry studies
- Ascertain the medical accuracy and fair balance of medical information in promotional material and learning materials for both internal and external use
- Partake to the Medical Evidence generation strategy of Core Medical Team (CMT).
- Provide clinical education and training for internal stakeholders such as Clinical Science Liaisons (CSLs) and members of product sales teams.
- Develop the medical Externally Sponsored Scientific Research program to align with strategy.
- Work with commercial brand teams to provide scientific and clinical expertise/input into strategic and tactical decisions in support of AstraZeneca products acting as medical expert for disease area.
- Work closely with our CSLs and National Clinical Account Managers to appropriately support key accounts.
- Supply medical insight into promotional material along with learning materials for internal and external use
- Work closely with Global Medical Alignment Leader (GMAL) to ensure US strategy is aligned with global.
- Doctorate in Medicine, Pharmacy, Pharmacology, Biological sciences, or equivalent experience
- Experience in developing and maintaining engagement activities with Key External Experts
- Proven ability to interact productively with both commercial and scientific colleagues.
- Experience in a strategy-setting role within Medical Affairs
- Background in practicing medicine, clinical research, and familiarity with biostatistics, epidemiology and health outcomes preferred.
- Knowledge and/or expertise in disease or therapeutic area
- Strong business acumen, including working knowledge of changing U.S. payer and provider landscape.
- Working knowledge of FDA requirements
- Familiarity with OPDP, PhRMA code, and key regulations in the pharmaceutical industry
- Highest level of ethics and integrity.
- Ability to travel nationally and internationally. Travel will be up to ~30% of time.
- Medical Directors will have at least 3 years of relevant pharmaceutical industry or other related areas of experience.
Skills and Capabilities
- Passion for patient outcomes and knowledge of patient care and treatment
- Leadership Capabilities with strong organizational skills
- Strong leadership with proven track record of change and impact
- Proven ability to engage and influence senior stakeholders
- Versatile communication skills
- Demonstrated coaching and mentoring experience
- Presentation and negotiation skills
- Strong analytical skill set
- Demonstrated strategic agility – Ability to anticipate and shape future based on market, business and industry trends.
At AstraZeneca when we see an opportunity for change, we seize it and make it happen, because any opportunity no matter how small, can be the start of something big. Delivering life-changing medicines is about being entrepreneurial - finding those moments and recognizing their potential. Join us on our journey of building a new kind of organization to reset expectations of what a bio-pharmaceutical company can be. This means we’re opening new ways to work, pioneering cutting edge methods and bringing unexpected teams together. Interested? Come and join our journey.
Are you already imagining yourself joining our team? Good, because we can’t wait to hear from you.
Where can I find out more?
Our Social Media, Follow AstraZeneca on LinkedIn https://www.linkedin.com/company/1603/
Follow AstraZeneca on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/astrazenecacareers/
Follow AstraZeneca on Instagram https://www.instagram.com/astrazeneca_careers/?hl=en
AstraZeneca embraces diversity and equality of opportunity. We are committed to building an inclusive and diverse team representing all backgrounds, with as wide a range of perspectives as possible, and harnessing industry-leading skills. We believe that the more inclusive we are, the better our work will be. We welcome and consider applications to join our team from all qualified candidates, regardless of their characteristics. We comply with all applicable laws and regulations on non-discrimination in employment (and recruitment), as well as work authorisation and employment eligibility verification requirements.